Hi,
I can comment on one of your questions.  You are not the only one to
have trouble with the find function in safari and I too at first
thought that it was limited to what is visible on the current screen
which is extremely limiting.  Through experimenting I found that on
some pages it is, such as the gmail html view and on other pages it
works as it should and is not limited to what is visible on the
current screen.  I do not know what makes the difference or how to get
around it other than the items chooser.  The problem in some cases
with using the items chooser is if you want the order that things
appear on the page to be preserved, such as messages in a thread in
gmail, and not put in to alphabetical order such as the items chooser
does.  I have found no way around the items chooser insisting on
alphabetical order.  If you don't care about the order in a situation
the items chooser is brilliant.  I think on screen / order in wich
they appear through the page from top to bottom would be far more
useful than alphabetical in many more cases than alphabetical is.  My
mac mini is new to me and I haven't gotten mail really setup just yet.
 I have checked it out some.  Is there a limiting issue with trying to
read messages in mail?

Jim