Hi Jim,

One of the options when you press VO-Shift-M should be Add to
Playlist. When you choose that, all playlists - the ones created by
iTunes and the ones you created yourself - are listed; you can arrow
to the one you want or type the first letter or two of its name, and
then press enter to add the file or files if you selected more than one.

I don't think there's any way to label a file you download as a
podcast, but you can designate it as an audiobook. To do this, focus
on the file, type Command-I, choose the Options tab, and change the
media kind to Audiobook. This will not create an audiobooks playlist,
but you can create one and add the file if you like. If you don't want
to designate a file as an audiobook but you want your place saved when
you exit the file, there is a check box later on this same Options
page called "Remember playback position." There's a "Skip when
shuffling" check box that also comes in handy if you like to shuffle
your music and don't want to hear spoken word content when you do it.

HTH,
Anna