Anna,There are a couple of things you can check:

1. In Voiceover Utility, go to the Verbosity item and click on the
Announcements tab.  Make sure the "Automatically speak text in dialog
boxes" checkbox is checked.

2. In System Preferences, go to the Speech pane and select "Text to
Speech".  See if the "Announce when alerts are displayed" checkbox is
checked.

HTH

Marsh