Hi friends.  I think something is rong with my apple hardware.

3 or four weeks ago I started having checksums fail when I coppied
things across the network from my old turion notebook to the macbook
here.

I thought it might be the disc on the other machine failing.  It is 4
or 5 years old now after all.  But I've also noticed I can't run
digital voices like alex or ryan any more.  The system doesn't stand
for it.  Even when I'm using fred or bruce vo restarts often, programs
hang, and some times the whole system seems to go dead for a minute,
the dvd drive resets, and then the system comes back to life as if
nothing had happened.

Yesterday I loaded up my windows vm here and tried to mac catalog my
music folder and the wimdows system told me some fo the files couldn't
be read.  I repaired the permissions on my drive, but I checked the
log thuroughly and nothing in my home folder had corupt permissions.

I did a verify disc on the hard drive and everything came back OK,
even though I sorely suspect that not to be the case.  So, I loaded up
off the cd and tried the varify, and it still says everything is OK.
I suspect though that the hitacci hard drive in my macbook pro is
failing.  Is there any recorse for me somewhere in between disc
utility from the install cd and dropping my macbook off at the apple
store for a couple of days?  A hitacci diagnostic that runs on mac
OS10 for example, or another more thurough apple friendly third party
diagnostic?

Thanks,

erik burggraaf
A+ sertified technician and user support consultant.
Phone: 888-255-5194
Email: e...@erik-burggraaf.com