I had to run Disk Warrior once on my childrens's e-mac computer. The
disk had enough errors that it took 3-4 days to recover data. There
were 100's  of files (mostly system files) that it could not recover,
but I was able to reteive most of their documents.  I then did a full
format and restored the system.  If your computer is under
maintencnace and has not suffered from abuse, I would just let the
apple store give you a new hard disk. They can charge a small fee to
store all the information on the HD and migrate it to the new disk.

Best regards,

Jon