You did not indicate if this was POP or IMAP that was experienceing
the issue.  For POP, I know that if the POP server gives any error
during login, then Apple mail will pop up the password message, even
if the error is "Sorry you are logged into the server somewhere
else".  I suggest you ignore the error message, but then your mailbox
will go off line. Just wait about 1/2 hour and then bring it on line
and see if you get the message again.  You might want to try the
connection doctor to see what is going on. I would suggest the
activity monitor in mail windows sub-menu, but I don't think I have
been able to track updates in that window very well.

Jon