This issue is usually caused by having more than 1 password for the
given server saved in your keychain
so say there are 2 passwords for pop.gmail.com Mail will take the
first and ignore all following ones.
if the first is wrong then you will be prompted for the password each
time it wants to access the account.

You can easily rectify this in Applications -> Utilities ->  Keychain
Access   by searching for say gmail and see how many items show up
with the same account.
you can view the saved passwords for each item and delete the
incorrect one, leaving 1 correct one.
alternatively delete all pop/imap/smtp items for that server and
startup mail and enter the correct ones there.

 HTH

Kieren