Hi!

Okay, just because the microphone worked with the Windows PC doesn't
mean its going to work with the Mac I'm afraid and if my hunch is
correct - that you're using a microphone which plugs into the
microphone jack of a PC and you're expecting it to work plugged into
the Line in jack of your Mac - then you're going to be a little
disappointed I think <smile>.

I can't answer your garage Band question I'm afraid so let's deal with
Skype then.  The first thing you need to do is set the audio
preferences in Skype, these are independent o the System Preferences
for the Mac and are found by pressing command-, in Skype, go to the
Toolbar, interact with it and press vo-space on the "Audio" button.
 From here you select your input and output, make sure the input
reflects the microphone or whatever you're using.

I bypassed a lot of this trouble by using a simple USB microphone,
Logitech sell one for about $40.00 which does an excellent job, its
the same as the one I use.  You may also like to consider a USB
headset though be a little careful here, some microphones on some
sound as though you have your finger stuck up your nose <smile>.

One final thing, to determine what you sound like on Skype, make a
call to "Skype Test Call" which should be in your contacts table
somewhere, if you can't find it then go into the "View" menu and
select "Show offline contacts"

On 22/08/2009, at 12:46 PM, John G. Heim wrote:

> I am trying to use skype on my mac mini. But the microphone doesn't
> work. I
> know the microphone I am using works because I just made a skype
> call with
> it on my Windows machine on Monday. I also tried connecting a stereo
> imput
> line to the jack and recording something with Garage Band and that
> didn't
> work either.
>
> I went into system preferences and found the imput tab. I turned the
> lin-in
> volume up to 100%. Still no luck.
>
> Any ideas?

Dane Trethowan