Right, well before I go any further, I've just changed the subject
line as the Mac Mini - nor any other modern day Mac - does not have a
microphone jack <smile>.

You're dealing with 2 different beasts here actually, setting Skype up
for the PC is somewhat different than setting it up for the Mac and I
won't go into the differences here but I do agree, if you can set it
up with the PC then ou'll have no trouble whatever in setting it for
the Mac, how many sound devices or whatever you have isn't
particularly important when it comes to the Mac, all you need to
remember is to set your Skype input and output correctly to what you
want.

I'm not going to enter into the argument as to what you should or
shouldn't have to buy, I've never liked those microphones that plug
directly into a Sound Card anyway but that's only my opinion and I've
only seen cheap one's <smile>, one thing to be said for a USB Headset
is that it works on every computer with just about every operating
system, that's the case with my Logitech Headset and my Logitech
desktop microphone so for that reason alone, I reckon they're
excellent buys.

On 25/08/2009, at 4:46 AM, John G. Heim wrote:

> Yeah, I checked all my configuration settings in skype. I am no
> skype expert
> but I know enough to get it working on a Windows machine with 2
> sound cards.
> I had jaws speaking via one sound card and skype working through the
> other.
> Very nice.  But that's on a Windows machine that I really need to
> get rid
> of.
>
> Anyway, I got smart and asked the google after I posted my question
> here. So
> now I'm about as sure as I can be that it's a hardware problem.  I
> guess I
> can understand that Apple was in a bind. They didn't want to have a
> mic jack
> on the Mac mini that is incompatible with all the other Macs out
> there.  But
> I shouldn't have to buy a new headset to use with my Mac mini either.

Dane Trethowan