I like them for reading.  I prefer to read in braille, so they sort of
serve as a dedicated book reader.  I also sometimes do email on them,
either when travelling, or when I just don't feel like being at the
computer.  I like this because you have the braille without having to
work with multiple pieces of hardware. But that's about it, and they
are quite expensive to have such limited use.  However, since I
already own one, I'll probably continue to use it.
Best,
Donna