Hi Donna,

Were you trying to make your purchase through the Mac OS X Snow
Leopard Up-to-Date page?
http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

If you use that page (or just Google on Snow Leopard uptodate or Snow
Leopard update) you should be able to fill in the information on
line.  You need to supply the serial number and date of purchase of
your machine.  The link brings up a window telling you how to find the
serial number from the "About this Mac" entry on the Apple Menu.  When
they tell you to "Double-click" the version text for the operating
system, use VO-Shift-Space by holding down Control-Option-Shift keys
and tapping space twice quickly. You may have to move off and on this
field to hear it updated. Then use VO-Shift-C to copy the serial
number information to pasteboard, and Command-V to paste it.  Use
TextEdit as an intermediate step, so you can strip off the announced
"Serial Number" prefix before inserting serial number into the form.

Cheers,

Esther