Hello,

There are shortcuts both in VoiceOver and for the Mac in general to
move to the status menu bar.  In VoiceOver, pressing VO-M (Control-
Option-M) once takes you to the application menu bar, pressing VO-M
twice takes you to the status menu bar, and pressing VO-M three times
takes you to a Spotlight search.

So, to check your battery, you could press VO-M twice, then left arrow
to the battery menu and arrow down to the menu options for display
preferences, energy saver preferences, etc. To check the date and
time, arrow left again, then arrow down into that menu's settings.

You can also use the shortcuts Control-F2 to navigate to the
application menu bar, Control-F8 to move to the status menu bar, and
Command-Space to bring up Spotlight search.  These work independently
of VoiceOver.  VO-M always starts you at the Apple Menu.  Then you can
either use your arrow keys or type the first few letters of a menu
name to navigate to application menu items or the Help menu for that
app.

There are also shortcuts both in VoiceOver and the Mac in general to
move to the Dock, which you can use to launch applications, check on
downloads, and check the trash.  VoiceOver used VO-D, but Control-F3
also works.  Again, you can navigate with arrow keys or by typing the
first few letters of an item in the dock.  If you want to customize
the order of items in the dock, select an item, press the option key
and use your arrow keys to move it to a new location/order.

Cheers,

Esther