I just want to thank you for your messages.  I am a very new Mac user, and I am
feeling a bit overwhelmed.  Thanks for your clear and helpful messages.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Esther
  To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2009 12:35 PM
  Subject: Re: status menu?

  Hello,

  There are shortcuts both in VoiceOver and for the Mac in general to move to
the status menu bar.  In VoiceOver, pressing VO-M (Control-Option-M) once takes
you to the application menu bar, pressing VO-M twice takes you to the status
menu bar, and pressing VO-M three times takes you to a Spotlight search.

  So, to check your battery, you could press VO-M twice, then left arrow to the
battery menu and arrow down to the menu options for display preferences, energy
saver preferences, etc. To check the date and time, arrow left again, then
arrow down into that menu's settings.

  You can also use the shortcuts Control-F2 to navigate to the application menu
bar, Control-F8 to move to the status menu bar, and Command-Space to bring up
Spotlight search.  These work independently of VoiceOver.  VO-M always starts
you at the Apple Menu.  Then you can either use your arrow keys or type the
first few letters of a menu name to navigate to application menu items or the
Help menu for that app.

  There are also shortcuts both in VoiceOver and the Mac in general to move to
the Dock, which you can use to launch applications, check on downloads, and
check the trash.  VoiceOver used VO-D, but Control-F3 also works.  Again, you
can navigate with arrow keys or by typing the first few letters of an item in
the dock.  If you want to customize the order of items in the dock, select an
item, press the option key and use your arrow keys to move it to a new
location/order.

  Cheers,

  Esther

  a radix wrote:

    Hello, my brother tried my mac today and apparently, to the right of the
apple menu there is a status menu where you can see your airport status, the
time and the battery status. Can anyone tell me where i can find it because i
would like to check how long my battery can hold out.
    Thanks,
    Greetings, Anouk,