On 04/09/2009 21:50, Rich Ring wrote:
> However, with my inability to send and receive email [snip] I am thus far not
> overjoyed with this machine at all.

[snip]

> I don't have a clue as to how to solve my Gmail problem, and therefore I
> will just stick to Windows for mail right now.

Are you using Gmail's web interface with Safari? If so, here's four
things you might like to try, if you haven't already:

    1. Try Gmail's basic HTML view via https://mail.google.com/mail/h .
Instructions at:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=15049

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=64950

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=146375

    2. Try Gmail's standard view, but in Opera 10 instead of Safari.
Download Opera from:

http://www.opera.com/download/

Instructions for using with VoiceOver here:

http://www.iheni.com/using-opera-10-beta-with-voiceover/

    3. Try Gmail's basic HTML view again, but with Opera instead of Safari.

    4. Use Apple Mail to access your Gmail over IMAP. Instructions here:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=81379

The standard web view of Gmail depends on support for an experimental
technology (ARIA) for screen reader access. Safari's support for ARIA is
still rather rudimentary, although Apple are involved in attempts to
standardize how ARIA should work. Opera claims better support for the
ARIA draft specification:

http://www.opera.com/docs/specs/presto22/#aria

As the draft is rather unclear, implementations in Firefox, Internet
Explorer, Opera, and Safari are likely to differ, so your mileage may vary.

You may (or may not) find the "glacial performance" you mentioned on the
web improves with Opera; it's worth a shot.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis