I have heard this can happen if the partition map on the external disk
is not Apple format.  I have heard that when you first get an external
disk you should first "partition" it even if you are only going to use
one partition so that you are using Apple's prefered partition tables
and not another systems.

I Heard on the Mac Jury list to select partition disk, then click on
options and then there should be a pop up menu to set the type of
partition mapping.

I can't test this here right now. Perhaps Mark Taylor who just got a
new disk will be willing to test for us.