Hi,

Yes, it is indeed true that NVDA is the only Windows based screen
access utility that has no Off Screen Model (OSM) in any traditional
sense of the word.  On GNU/Linux, orca functions without an OSM but
mouse cursor (review cursor) mode using a simulated OSM acts kind of
strange sometimes.  VO does so well because of its tight integration
with the OS and because the Apple accessibility API is so damn good
that little that would require an OSM on another system is available
to the screen reader kind of by default.

Over the past year and a half or so, NVDA has matured into a solid
little screen reader.  Using MSAA, iAccessible2, some application DOM
information and possibly some of the Sun Java accessibility stuff, it
can create something of a tree like view of the screen contents.
People who work closely with sighted colleagues probably should look
for a different solution as NVDA speaks items in a logical manner and
not in any way related to the order which items appear on screen.

NVDA, though, with help and money from Mozilla, IBM, Microsoft and
Adobe, is really growing up quickly.  Because of the iAccessible2 API
(free software from IBM), NVDA works with virtually all of OpenOffice
and the other members of the gecko UI (Firefox for instance)  family
of programs.  MSAA gives them all of the really basic stuff but,
unlike Apple, many applications that ship with Windows use non-
standard techniques for drawing UI and, therefore, do not work
properly with NVDA.

Mozilla keeps the boys pushing forward on Firefox andother useful free
software.  Microsoft used its money to pay the guys to support user
interface automation (UIA) which will be its primary accessibility
system in Windows 7) and Adobe is paying them to support its peculiar
MSAA inplimentation that, when accessed properly, has the potential to
do a good job on Windows at least.

The OSM solutions give application vendors a bit of a freel ride.
Before Apple added MSAA to iTunes, a JAWS user would have to buy
scripts from Brian Hartgen (a great guy by the way) to use the program
as Brian was able to hack around the video information and, from
there, build something that actually worked.  Thus, if Apple never
contracted GW Micro to help with the accessibility of their Windows
version of iTunes, Brian would still be making money selling his
scripts and Apple could point to him as their accessibility solution
if anyone complained.

The other side of the OSM coin, though, is that capturing all of those
loose bits and bytes can add a lot of instability to the overall
system.  Without getting into the boring details, I'll recommend that
someone turn on JAWS on a nice XP or Vista box.  Then, turn off the
screen saver, walk away and every hour or so go to the system
resources dialogue and see how much memory, handles and CPU usage that
JAWS is consuming.  For all intents and purposes, these values should
be identical or at least close to identical at every visit.
Unfortunately, you will see these numbers grow at what seems like a
fairly regular pace (assuming no one has done anything else to the
computer).  These strange side effects slow things down, sometimes
garble the OSM and happen for no reason anyone in or out of FS can
figure (the FS JAWS hackers would fix this in a New York minute if
they could actually figure out why and where it happens).

Overall, given the power of the Apple Accessibility API, the gnome and
Java accessibility stuff, MSAA, iAccessible2 and UIA, the OSM is
moving rapidly toward a long awaited death.  People who work on such
things say that Windows 7 will not support a mirror driver nor any of
the other ways screen readers build an OSM.  So, with luck and
believing MS and some of my friends (usually a reliable bunch of
nerds) even JAWSVID.DLL will go away pretty soon.

The death of the OSM probably has the GW Micro and FS guys pulling
their hair out.  Without the driver hooks, which caused the terible
stability problems we all know and love on Windows with the top two,
players is going to either force the mainstream application developers
to add the appropriate accessibility information using the documented
API or they will need to update their VPAT to say "not accessible to
people with vision impairment on Windows 7 or newer," which kind of
tosses a monster monkey in the fraud that has been Section 508 until
now.

Lastly, an OSM/operating system hooking solution like JAWS and WE,
create cavernous security holes in the entire system.  If my screen
reader can speak in the desktop user space (not the desktop you
interact with but, rather, a low level bit of Windows), it means that
my screen reader can see almost everything and all of the keystrokes,
mouse movememnts and clicks, and such and it can catalogue them in a
file somewhere on your system and, when you try to use your email
program, it can send the attachment with all of the high security
information anywhere it cares to.  So, if you want to use a screen
reader to login to Windows, you better have some hardcore ways of
knowing that no one wrote a little but evil JAWS script to start
hacking your system.

Scary....

Happy Hacking,
cdh