Hello,

On my Macbook Pro I am still using iWork 2009 under Mountain Lion.

However, I am using some of my One-to-One training to get familiar with
Mavericks and the new versions of Pages and Numbers. I am having a problem in
Numbers which I hope is caused by me doing something wrong. However, as I had
two trainers trying
to help me sort out this issue earlier today but without success I am not sure.
I hope I can explain the problem without being too long winded. Also, as I can
only repeat what the trainers told me was happening on the screen I hope you
will understand my explanation.

The problem arises when I want to insert a formula into a cell.

If I go to a cell and Interact with it I can then use VO+J to go to the Format
Bar but the options for inserting a formula are obviously not there because I
have not clicked into the cell and typed an equals sign. I can get to the
Toolbar and find
the Functions drop down menu but if I then choose one of the functions the menu
closes without anything happening. Again this must be because I have not
clicked inside
the cell and type the equals sign. This does seem logical.

However, if I go to the cell and Interact and then press VO+Shift+Spacebar so
that I can type the equals sign I am told that the correct options then appear
on the Format Bar. However, pressing VO+J only produces a “dong” sound. One of
the Trainers said that the only
way he could get to the list of functions was to physically click the mouse.
However, although I tried all the tracking options I could think of I could not
find the point where I needed to click.

If this really is a user error and you can explain what I should have done I
will be most happy and grateful. Otherwise it will be very disappointing that
Voiceover
cannot handle this aspect of Numbers. I find it hard to believe that such a
significant issue could have been missed during testing.

Many thanks,

Chris