Hi there
I use numbers all the time, and I have never had trouble putting in my
formulas. Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't understand why you are
having to go through all the things used are going through here. All I have to
do is type in the =, and no interaction is necessary or anything

I just did a test with my version of numbers which is the latest version in
Mavericks. I have not tested doing it by Rose, but I had absolutely no problem
at all inserting a formula in a column. Here is how I did it.

I made a column of numbers, in this case I copied a previous column so that I
could test it and see if it came out the same. I put a row of equals silence to
separate the total from the number in the  columns. All I did was to be in the
menu with veal him, I went to the insert menu and went down to function and
press the right arrow and the first one was some and then press the enter key
it put the some right below where I put the separation line.

I did make a discovery, however. If I selected items in the column, the
function item was dim. But, when I didn't select the column, it added up the
whole column. I need to try it with a row and see what happens with that. I
have never had a need to add a row of figures instead of a column of figures. I
suspect that there may be a way to tell numbers to do that instead. Perhaps
selecting it would work maybe. I'll see.
Regards,
Gigi

Sent from my iPhone