There are over 7 billion people upon earth.
Just over 2,4 billion have internet.
Of that 2,4 billion, about a third have broadband access.
Way less than a billion have reliable, uninterrupted services at affordable
prices.
Cloud-based computing in general is therefore not widespread.

Apple has a small global footprint yet a fair share of its user base are
located in regions without practical broadband connectiviity. We bought Apple
for its local sync, especially via tethering.

In global terms, iCloud users are by far a minority. If you live away from the
USA, you soon realise how fragile and compromised the Intetnet is. Natural
disasters, power outages, accidents and even terrorism/sabotage can and do
interrupt connectivity. This post will travel 23,140km via a detoured undersea
cable so that it can be saved on Apple's servers. It goes from the tip of
Africa along the west coast up to the UK and from there across the Atlantic to
the USA. The cables get severed and on our harbour there are two ships that
have the immense task of maintaining these cables.

My USB cable is two feet long and works better and is not exposed to risk.