Yes, but there are some folks who could get by with an IOS device only. If you
do wanted BARD, email, and the ability to write text files, you could very
easily just use your iPhone, maybe with a keyboard. I know a blind gal right
now that, if she got a computer, would be better off with an iPhone instead of
what she might be about to do because somebody is talking her into it.

There is an organization here in Texas that gives away Windows computers to
blind people. Sounds real good right? The only thing is that they are giving
these computers to blind people that are unable to get them through the state
and in most cases, as far as I can tell, usually people with very low income.
However, there's no training, and they are giving them to people, for the most
part, who know nothing about computers. They come right out and say that you
have to have someone on hand to help you learn your system because they don't
do it. The other thing they do is to put the demo version of WindowEyes in the
computer, and then the receivers of these computers that they will need to get
WindowEyes when the time runs out.

My friend is considering this, and I told her to make sure that the person that
was helping her get this computer was going to hebbp her later, and I warned
her about getting WindowEyes later. She could NVDA in there, but then she would
have to to learn a new screen reader, and this lady knows just about nothing
concerning computers. I'm glad she told me she was thinking about it.

If she were to get an IOS device, she wouldn't have this problem. In fact, she
wouldn't have this problem if this same organization would figure out a way to
give some of these people Macs. At least they wouldn't have to get screen
reader software later. I recently heard a talk given by a representative of
this organization, and I asked him if they would be receptive to other
computers. He said yes, but then he sort blew off my concerns when I started to
mention the issues above.

Regards,
Gigi