Hello again,

If the preview pain is on, the message is marked as read when you move
focus over it.  You can turn cursor tracking off and just move the vo
cursor over the message, then you will hear the status as unread.
There is also a way to turn off the preview pain, but I don't remember
off the top of my head where to click.