Ok, here's the thing.  If you check "Speak Menus", then voiceover will
speak the menus but not the song titles. The "Use Voiceover" check
gets checked automatically in iTunes.  If you *don't* check "speak
menu items" then only song titles are spoken.

Now my observations:
The 5th generation (new) nano has a built in speaker, so you'll hear
alex as soon as you're done syncing with the above setup.  He sounds
like he's coming out of a really tiny transistor radio, but he's loud
and clear.  I'm guessing that gets cut off as soon as you plug into
headphones.  Next, Alex will not speak calendar events. He'll also not
speak radio favorite frequencies.  My suggestion for a work around is
use the old count click method, and just try and not mark too many
stations.  He will announce podcast titles in the podcast menu, then
the titles of the individual podcasts in the next menu.  Finally He
won't read contact names or contact information, nor will he read the
game titles. The voice, by the way, if you have use system voice
selected, is stunning.  Sounds just like Alex on the host computer.
Ok hope this helps a little.

Egun On, Lagunak! (Basque for G'day, Mates)
Pete Nalda
http://www.myspace.com/musikonalda