hi,

One more option that's a little more invasive but should do the trick.

1.  Quit Mail.
2.  Go into ~/Library/Mail/v2/Your_Mail_Account

Normally, you would go to the Finder then press cmd-shift-h then open the
Library file if it is visible.  If your ~/Library folder is hidden, then, when
in the Finder, press VO-m to go up to the menubar, over to the Go menu and,
using VO-down, navigate to the Library item then press return.  You'll now be
in this usually hidden folder.

3.  Open the Mail folder.
4.  Open the v2 folder.
5.  Locate the Mailbox folder that has the incorrectly sorted folders.
6.  Press cmd-c to Copy it.
7.  Go into the Terminal app.
8.  Enter the following commands (exclude the dollar sign)

$cd pathname - where the pathname is entered by pressing cmd-v.  That is,
you're pasting the path you copied in #6.  Press return.
$mv .mboxCache.plist .mboxCache.plist.bak - Note that there are spaces between
items, a "dot" before the filenames, and that the first "c" of "Cache" is in
caps.

What you're doing here is renaming the first filename to the second filename.
Because this file has the "dot" in front of the filename, it is normally an
invisible file and should remain this way.

9.  Quit Terminal app.
10.  Open Mail and it should rebuild the .mboxCache.plist file for you and
consequently fix the problem.

You'll need to do this for each Mail account that has this issue.  Note the
word "should".  This is my favourite word in computer-land as it covers my
behind in case things don't work as I planned.

Later...

Tim Kilburn
Fort McMurray, AB Canada