Makes perfect sense. I used the shell to do the whole thing. I quit mail.app
first, then did the rename of .mboxCache.plist and all, but when I restarted
mail.app, the list of mail folders was rebuilt but the alpha order is still
reversed. I guess my machine does not know her ABC's:).

I suppose it may be time for a call to Apple Tech Support to see if any other
ideas? Otherwise I will just have to work backwards when looking for folders in
alpha sequence. It just surprises me this all happened after the Mavericks
upgrade. Sure, I could delete the entire Mail foder and re-do the whole thing
but I think I'll pass. This sequence problem isn't that serious. It would just
be nice for it to fix though.

Thanks for all the ideas.

On Apr 29, 2014, at 8:29 AM, Tim Kilburn <kilbu...@me.com> wrote:

> hi,
>
> One more option that's a little more invasive but should do the trick.
>
> 1.  Quit Mail.
> 2.  Go into ~/Library/Mail/v2/Your_Mail_Account
>
> Normally, you would go to the Finder then press cmd-shift-h then open the
> Library file if it is visible.  If your ~/Library folder is hidden, then,
> when in the Finder, press VO-m to go up to the menubar, over to the Go menu
> and, using VO-down, navigate to the Library item then press return.  You'll
> now be in this usually hidden folder.
>
> 3.  Open the Mail folder.
> 4.  Open the v2 folder.
> 5.  Locate the Mailbox folder that has the incorrectly sorted folders.
> 6.  Press cmd-c to Copy it.
> 7.  Go into the Terminal app.
> 8.  Enter the following commands (exclude the dollar sign)
>
> $cd pathname - where the pathname is entered by pressing cmd-v.  That is,
> you're pasting the path you copied in #6.  Press return.
> $mv .mboxCache.plist .mboxCache.plist.bak - Note that there are spaces
> between items, a "dot" before the filenames, and that the first "c" of
> "Cache" is in caps.
>
> What you're doing here is renaming the first filename to the second filename.
>  Because this file has the "dot" in front of the filename, it is normally an
> invisible file and should remain this way.
>
> 9.  Quit Terminal app.
> 10.  Open Mail and it should rebuild the .mboxCache.plist file for you and
> consequently fix the problem.
>
> You'll need to do this for each Mail account that has this issue.  Note the
> word "should".  This is my favourite word in computer-land as it covers my
> behind in case things don't work as I planned.
>
> Later...
>
> Tim Kilburn
> Fort McMurray, AB Canada
>
> On Apr 29, 2014, at 6:32 AM, Steve Holmes <steve.holme...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Nope, I tried these steps several times, in fact, but I still see the
>> folders in reverse alpha order. I guess I'm stuck with a backwards
>> alphabetically ordered list of mail box folders. Nice try and thanks for the
>> suggestion. It's strange though; I never had this sorting problem before I
>> upgraded to Mavericks. I'm not in the mood to blow away all mail settings
>> and do them over. Take too much time so I guess I'll put up with this order
>> unless I come across another solution. I could manually sort them by moving
>> folders around but that sounds tedious too.
>>
>> Thanks for the helpful reply.
>>
>> Oh Robert, thanks for your tip but I was referring to mail box folders and
>> not messages. My message lists are fine and sort they way I want.
>>
>> On Apr 27, 2014, at 10:54 AM, Tim Kilburn <kilbu...@me.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Steve,
>>>
>>> Here's a trick to get the Mailboxes sorted properly:
>>>
>>> 1.  Go into your Mail Preferences either with cmd-comma or under the Mail
>>> menu.
>>> 2.  Select Accounts from the Toolbar.
>>> 3.  Select the account you wish to have the Mailboxes re-ordered in.
>>> 4.  From within the Accounts Info tab, uncheck the "Enable this Account"
>>> checkbox.
>>>
>>> Don't worry, this won't actually lose any of your info, it just temporarily
>>> disables it.
>>>
>>> 5.  Close your Mail Prefs and Quit the Mail app.
>>> 6.  Wait a short bit then re-open your Mail app.