Hi,
  You can use the same method has you would use to create the bootable USB
stick but choose the external HD as the target instead.  I haven't been
following this thread closely so if the instructions for the USB stick aren't
readily available, let me know and I'll round things up for you.

Later...

Tim Kilburn
Fort McMurray, AB Canada