Hmmm! It's been a while since I used a virtual linux build but I'm quite sure I
used it with a usb-serial cable when I did use it. I don't remember if I had to
install the driver for the usb-serial converter. And at least when I was using
vmware, it wasn't difficult to change between the vm and the Mac OS. I didn't
have to build a vm; I remember burning a blind-friendly version of archlinux
and I think I also used debian and/or ubuntu this way.

It is definitely possible to install brltty directly on your Mac. On Mavericks,
it works fine with my braillelite but it isn't fully functional with my braille
edge though it does work basically enough for me to use terminal. I still just
haven't had time to update the instructions for installing brltty on the Mac
but I can tell you that I do it using screen and I compiled the recommended
screen-4.0.1 screen and used the patch in the brltty distribution. It isn't
necessary to use screen if you are doing it in a virtual machine. If you want
the latest brltty, you will need to compile so you would want something like
macports installed if you are doing this directly on your Mac. Also, brltty has
switched to using git instead of subversion if you are using the very latest.

It is possible, though not optimal, to use the terminal with voiceover and its
braille support. The main key to this is interacting in the window before you
arrow with the braille display but in my opinion the experience of using
voiceover in terminal, especially with speech only but also with voiceover's
braille support, is not as good as using brltty. All the line endings showing
up in terminal with voiceover braille and the showing up of some symbols
written out in words also is not something I like at all.

--
Cheryl

I tried and tried to turn over a new leaf.
I got crumpled wads of tear-stained paper
thrown in the trash!
Then God gave me a new heart and life:
His joy for my despairing tears!
And now, every day: