Yep, USB serial will work, because it's just USB that VMWare can pass through;
normally though this means the only way to get braille back is to disconnect
it, and unless you're using a non-serial device that will hotplug to relaunch
BRLTTY this simply can't work.  Check the BRLTTY docs for all the details.

Using BRLTTY on OS X means you only get braille in one host virtual terminal,
much less faithful emulation of the host console, and less driver support.  I
personally don't think it's worth the trade-off when you can easily SSH into
the Mac from Linux, but if things have changed since I last tried it, it might
be feasible.  To be honest, though, I doubt BRLTTY will ever see good support
for platforms other than Linux for direct screen access.