My thoughts exactly.  I think the people who read AT reviews fall into
two categories: people who work for AT companies/departments and
people already using AT who are not likely to switch but enjoy keeping
up with the technology conversations.

Most purchasing decisions happen almost entirely apart from the users
of AT who rarely are even asked for input.

An odd phenomena though, is the growth of VO and people who seem new
to computing or new to participating in discussions about such.
Whenever a new person joins any of the three Apple related lists to
which I subscribe, I make certain of taking notice of their name.
Some are people I've known for years from lots of different lists.  A
whole lot, maybe even most, seem new to technology lists (I doubt too
many are entirely new to computing as finding a list, getting signed
up, etc. isn't obvious to the novice).

I know that Apple stores are offering VO training because (I'm
guessing) the local Lighthouse or other agencies aren't serving the
Mac market.

I'm working on a very large proposal for a really huge project that
includes a lot of questions about populations and numbers of users on
different AT with a variety of different disabilities.  The only
information I can get about Mac users with vision impairment comes
from surveys which have the self selection problem (a lot of people do
not fill out surveys) which may over or under-estimate MacinBlinks as
we've no scientificly gathered data.  Lighthouse and other training
centers don't count Macintosh users as they do not train them so, as
far as that class of NGO goes, we do not really exist.

As millions of Macs have shipped since the first VO, we've no clue how
many blinks are using them, how they are being used, etc.

I would estimate, though, from my entirely unscientific survey of
names on mailing lists that Mac is hitting a previously unserved
population and doing so well enough for the users to spend time on
lists helping each other out.

I do not, however, know how many people are on these lists - the JAWS
list has over 900 users last I looked and the Apple oriented seem to
have a lot fewer.  Of course, pointing back to the top of the message,
if Mac is being used by tons of real novices, then we have no way to
get a census of VO use.

Ah... tangled webs and the like...

cdh

To wit: