Hi,

I've had a slew of troubles with the trash over the years. In some cases, the
Finder get's very confused. I've been able to reproduce the problem with
certain applications that do a self update. The older application in the trash
can never be deleted. The simple solution I've found is to use Onyx to perform
the empty trash command rather than the finder. Actually, Onyx is somewhat
handy to have in your back pocket for several tasks.

Here's a link to it on macupdate:
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx

Give that a shot and I bet it will work.
--k
Faith doesn't give you the answers, it merely stops you from asking the
questions.