Just a for instance, it wouldn't take too much to embed your gmail address in the link so that clicking on it tells them you read their spam and are willing to click on strange links. That puts you on the A list they sell to other spammers. It's also possible the site will 'help' you fix your password by asking for your current credentials, which they then sell to the highest bidder.

CB