The trick is that any response tells them the have a live working account, that their message got through the spam filter, that a user actually read the message and took the time to reply. That's like gold in a spammer's list, which they can now sell as a top quality email address to the highest bidder, who will tell two friends, who tell two more friends and so on.

CB