Hi,

Here’s some instructions I posted back when Mavericks first was released.  Not
sure how or if they still work in Yosemite, but it’s probably worth a try.

1.  Go into Mail Prefs and select the Viewing pane.
2.  Check to change to Classic View.
3.  Close Mail Prefs.
4.  Navigate to the Horizontal Splitter after the Messages Table.
5.  Press VO-cmd-f5 to make sure the mouse is focused on the Splitter.
6.  Press down on the Trackpad then drag downwards to the bottom of the
physical Trackpad then release.  This could also be done with a mouse instead.

You will know that it worked because the splitter will no longer be right after
the Messages Table, it will be the last item at the bottom of the window.

7.  Change back into Modern View in the Mail Prefs by unchecking the box.
8.  Close the Mail Prefs.

You will know that the Preview Pane is closed/hidden/disabled by navigating
around the Mail window and you will note a Vertical Splitter before and after
the Messages Column Group.

If it’s not sticking for you, try quitting Mail after getting rid of the
Preview Pane in Classic view.  Once you re-open Mail, you can change back to
the Modern View and the change should stick.  At least it has for me numerous
times.

HTH.

Tim Kilburn
Fort McMurray, AB Canada