Hi,

As far as I can gather, if your device, either Mac or iOS, supports the HD
quality media and if you’ve purchased the HD quality media, that is the version
that will be downloaded unless you go into the Purchased area of your iTunes
Store.  So, viewing of the SD quality version is fine using the Video Quality
menu item, but downloading it requires you to either have purchased the SD
quality movie or to go through the Purchased area of your iTunes Store.
Therefore, it’s not really a bug per say, it’s something that Apple has
changed.  Now, regarding the accessibility of downloading media from the
Purchased area of your iTunes Store, that is a bug and should be addressed.

Later…

Tim Kilburn
Fort McMurray, AB Canada