Hi,

What are the specs on the iMac?  I’m guessing that it probably has a spinning
HD as opposed to the MBA’s Flash storage.  Flash storage has considerably
faster access than any spinning HD, especially if the spinning HD is only 5400
RPM’s.  Depending on the model of the iMac, the default RAM could be around 8
GB which should not exhibit choppy speech like you’ve mentioned.  I use VO on
some older iMacs when setting these machines up at my work, and they are slower
at starting, slower at logging in but once everything in the background has
finished doing its thing, VO works normally.  Make sure that you have the
checkbox unchecked to re-open windows/applications when logging back in.  This
box is visible when you go to logout.  Also, make sure you don’t have any apps
set to automatically open as this can slow down the startup process as well.
There are enough processes going on in the background as it is during startup
and login that make it feel slow that adding extra things simply prolong the
wait.

HTH.

Later...

Tim Kilburn