There wouldn't be any advantage that I can think of to drag and drop. You have
a mechanism within iTunes for importing music that is in other places. Besides,
you can physically move other folders into iTunes but iTunes won't necessarily
incorporate those folders into its use just because you physically stick
folders inside of Music/iTunes. You shouldn't really have a "messy" setup in
iTunes unless some of your music or videos are being misidentified and you can
fix that, as has been mentioned, with getinfo. If you actually open the
Music/iTunes/iTunes Media in Finder you will see that you do have a separate
folder, for instance, for home videos so they don't need to be mixed in with
your music. I would think that straightening out any misidentified items would
be preferable to starting all over again. Even if you start over again, iTunes
is still going to reorganize according to how it identifies unless you have
that unchecked in preferences so I don't think you are going to get different
results by starting over. Just remember not to just physically move items into
the folders and then expect them to be done correctly by that action.

--
Cheryl

"Move forward by looking back!
"Above all, fear the Lord
and worship Him faithfully with all your heart;
consider the great things He has done for you."
(1 Samuel 12:24 (HCSB)