For reference, here is a blog where someone explains both methods.
http://www.mactricksandtips.com/2011/01/join-avi-or-other-movie-files-together.html

<http://www.mactricksandtips.com/2011/01/join-avi-or-other-movie-files-together.html>.
Note that vo works better with the page in the Safari reader.

On Mar 7, 2015, at 8:51 AM, Phil Halton <philh...@gmail.com> wrote:

This is easily done in QuickTime Player. Simply load the first movie into QT,
do a "select all”, then   “successively “perform an insert clip after
selection” command from the edit menu for each movie you want to add. repeat
the “select all” after adding each movie to ensure the clip gets added to the
end. If nothing is selected, the command changes to “add clip to end”. You can
change the position a clip gets inserted by selecting the clip prior to the
place you want the new clip to appear, and then doing a “insert clip after
selection". You select clips in the media composition window which you bring up
with command E.
there is a horizontal list of clips, and you select a clip by routing mouse to
VO and doing VO shift space. The clips aren’t identifiable by anything but
there position in the movie track, so you have to count and remember clip
orders, but it still works fine if your movie isn’t too complex.

This should work well for you as both QT and iPhone videos are the same format
.mov

BTW: I just figured this out in the last 20 minutes by experimenting with some
test clips, so you won’t have much trouble working it out. QT seems to be a
decent video editor for simple stuff and a good replacement for iMovie.
I will do a lot of recording and editing in QT, then import into iMovie V9 for
wrapping and uploading etc.
good luck with this.