Alex,

Sorry, can only address the double-dash substitution.  I’m not sure that this
is actually a Word Press issue in that the MacOS does that sort of substitution
by default and I found it extremely frustrating in Terminal until I figured out
what was going on.  You can turn off this substitution behaviour globally in
System Preferences, Keyboard under the Text tab.  Uncheck the box for Smart
Quotes and Dashes.  You can also leave that feature enabled and alternatively
disable it for individual apps by going under the Edit menu, Substitutions and
unchecking the Smart Dashes item.  The only thing here is, that I don’t think
you can individually set that in Safari, so, the global setting may need to be
applied.

HTH.

Later...

Tim Kilburn