Hi,

Two ways that I’m aware of.

1.  Go into System Prefs, iCloud, iCloud Drive then press on the Options button
and uncheck TextEdit from the table of apps.  Since TextEdit doesn’t have an
iOS app, this shouldn’t affect anything with saving of documents other than the
TextEdit folder being removed from the iCloud Drive.  You could first check if
there were any documents in that folder first before unchecking the box and
moving them into a new folder not named TextEdit so you don’t lose anything.

2.  Go into Terminal and enter the following command:

defaults write -g NSShowAppCentricOpenPanelInsteadOfUntitledFile -bool false

You’ll need to Quit and re-open TextEdit after running this command.

HTH.

Later...

Tim Kilburn
Fort McMurray, AB Canada