Hello Christina,

Here's how I set up Preview:

Setting up Preview for reading:
Open Preview Preferences (Command-Comma).
Interact with Toolbar and select PDF.
In "On opening documents", check the checkbox "Show sidebar only for
Table of Contents", as well as the checkbox "Start on the last viewed
page".
Close Preferences and go to the Menu bar.
In the View menu, set PDF Display submenu to "Single Page", and the
"Sidebar submenu" to "Thumbnails".

I find that with these settings, I can go to another application and
return to Preview and not lose my place in the document. A simple Down
Arrow takes me to the next page, and if I'm already interacting, the
interaction continues on the next page.

All text navigation commands work fine and it's easy to select a
different page from the sidebar on the right.

I hope this is of some help.

Cheers,

Anne