Chris,

I’ll paste in some instructions I posted back in Mavericks time.  Still work as
far as I’m aware.

> 1.  Go into Mail Prefs and select the Viewing pane.
> 2.  Check to change to Classic View.
> 3.  Close Mail Prefs.
> 4.  Navigate to the Horizontal Splitter after the Messages Table.
> 5.  Press VO-cmd-f5 to make sure the mouse is focused on the Splitter.
> 6.  Press down on the Trackpad then drag downwards to the bottom of the
> physical Trackpad.
>
> You will know that it worked because the splitter will no longer be right
> after the Messages Table, it will be the last item at the bottom of the
> window.
>
> 7.  Change back into Modern View in the Mail Prefs by unchecking the box.
> 8.  Close the Mail Prefs.
>
> You will know that the Preview Pane is closed/hidden/disabled by navigating
> around the Mail window and you will note a Vertical Splitter before and after
> the Messages Column Group.
>
> If it’s not sticking for you, try quitting Mail after getting rid of the
> Preview Pane in Classic view.  Once you re-open Mail, you can change back to
> the Modern View and the change should stick.  At least it has for me numerous
> times.

Later...

Tim Kilburn
Fort McMurray, AB Canada

On Apr 13, 2015, at 21:58, Christopher-Mark Gilland <clgillan...@gmail.com>
wrote:

And here's another! billion dollar question:  how do you shut off! the preview
payne in Yosemite, and while at it, also how do you do it in Mavericks 10.9.5?

Chris.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Kilburn" <kilbu...@me.com>