I know in the past I've been able to visit an Apple store and get a phone exchanged for less than the cost of a new device. I had forgotten it was in my pocket and went swimming with it. At the time I think they charged me about $150-200 and I told them exactly what happened. That's been a few years ago when the iPhone 4 was new. It was money I didn't really want to spend but it was still far less than the cost of outright buying a new one. Maybe they do the same thing for laptops. There are stories elsewhere on the web of folks calling AppleCare for water in their laptops and being told it's not covered but being able to get a "spill repair" for way less than the cost of a new one. Still could be a non-trivial cost but better than buying a whole new unit. Other forums also mention having computer damage riders on their insurance covering this kind of thing so you might want to check into that. There are also 3rd party repair shops which might have a lower cost than going through the official Apple channels such as ispillrepair.com. I've never used them but it might be worth a try.

CB