Welcome, Wayne. I've seen you on other lists, and I'm glad you've joined the
ranks of the Mac users!

My best advice, honestly, is to ditch Windows as much as possible. I got my
first Mac in 2011, and mostly used Windows for the next year. It wasn't until a
series of unfortunate events killed my Windows screen reader for about five
weeks, forcing me to use the Mac exclusively, that I finally started getting a
handle on things. After that, my conversion was swift and complete, and now I
hate using Windows because it never works right. The best thing that happened
to me was suddenly having Windows yanked out from under me for a month, and if
you can do the same thing, I'd recommend doing it. Of course, you should know
the basics first, and if your work would be affected, that's a whole other
matter. If you can, though, learn the essentials of VoiceOver and then dive in.
> On Aug 11, 2015, at 4:23 PM, Wayne Merritt <wcmerr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Greetings all. I am a new subscriber to this list. I bought my first
> Mac about 10 days ago. I have used Windows for the last 16 years and
> this is my first journey into the Mac. I got an early 2015 MacBook
> Pro, 256 GB hard drive, 8 GB RAM, and 2.7 processor. I am totally
> blind and use VoiceOver and wanted a computer that my sighted wife and
> I could share, as well as one that I wouldn't have to replace after
> 2-4 years. I have an iPhone 6 and have used iOS for about 4.5 years.
> Anyway, wanted to offer an intro and to say be ready for lots of
> questions from a beginner, grin. I am getting the hang of using the
> Mac but there are plenty of places that I get frustrated and revert
> back to my Windows 7 laptop since that is what I know.
>
> Best,
> Wayne Merritt
> Austin, TX
>
> --