Here is where I have the issues I do.
We just spent 5 messages talking about who should have hit the delete key
first, who should’ve responded. I also want to make the point that I use
multiple systems. Sometimes I check mail on my iPhone, sometimes I check on my
mac or my windows system. I don’t really want to have to maintain filters for
that many systems (IOS can’t even filter, AFAIK). Yes, people could technically
filter, but some are unwilling to do so. Even if I filter “fuck” out of every
message, I still have to deal with posts that don’t include that. If I filter
on that specific person, I still have to read backlash of a community who is
pretty tired of this individual. If I filter by thread, any thread tainted by
this person is just gone, despite what I might get out of it. Combination of
these results in other various issues. I believe that everyone has the right to
speech and everyone has the right to do pretty much whatever they want,
provided they can treat people with a bit of civility. When people are leaving
a perfectly good community, regardless of whether or not they could’ve filtered
or could’ve just hit delete, you have problems. People inherently are drawn to
communities in which they feel like they fit. I’ve spent months with this list
filtered server side entirely to the trash because there’s so much argument
going back and forth. So while you might have the right to do whatever you
want, that right only goes so far as rules and civility are concerned. I don’t
wish to get into a discussion of a structured society vs anarchy here because
it is wildly off topic, but by subscribing to this list, you are basically
saying “Hey, I agree to follow these rules, if not I’ll be moderated.” This
falls down at the latter point, where moderation does not take place.

So what this really boils down to is filters are not really the issue here, nor
is calling people out for their unwillingness, or lack of knowledge, or even
not having the ability to filter altogether. This comes down to creating a good
community in which people can continue to feel welcome and learn.

Respectfully, you’ve mentioned that there is a reason between chocolate and
vanilla, but you seem unwilling to accept this, choosing instead to suggest
that people who want a bit more structure are inadequate and unwilling to take
care of themselves. Considering that this includes yours truly, I’m a bit
bothered by this idea as it seems to contradict the perfectly great idea that
people have differences and it doesn’t matter. I have limited time. I’ve spent
so much time talking about this today when I could be doing other things. Next
semester I’ll be taking 20 credits. I want to remain part of this community
without tweaking filters and deleting endless trash and I honestly believe that
I along with anyone else have that right. Why deal with drama when I could be
doing more important things like drinking?

Thanks,