Hello Craig,

As a new Mac user, you should be extremely proud of yourself.  It takes a lot
of guts to install a new OS, especially after so short of a time at the helm.

Just think about it, both you and I came up with the exact same solution and
I've been doing this for over 7 years; I don't know if that says more about you
or about me (big, big smile).  My point is that, in my opinion, you did the
correct thing in powering down the computer and rebooting.

As for how the OS was successfully installed, suffice me to say that all of the
proverbial heavy-lifting was already done by the time the setup assistant was
launched.  This is just a guess but I suspect that the problem for both of us
was simply some kind of a video display glitch.  Generally speaking, the setup
assistant assesses what passwords and such need to be entered by the user
before proceeding.  However, all of the mission-crucial tasks have already been
completed.

After my reboot, I received a couple of password prompts that I would probably
have received during the setup process, nothing more.

Finally, as for the issues you are encountering, if you feel up to it, I would
appreciate it if you would begin a new thread detailing them so we can all
compare notes, as it were.

Craig, well done on your installation and, if I have not expressed the
sentiment earlier, welcome to the family.

Mark