I think we covered that already.  Yes.  All the tracks play fine on my
production machine where it was initially ripped.

Chris.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Singing Sparrow
  To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Sunday, October 4, 2015 2:55 AM
  Subject: Re: Major setbacks with El Capitan

  are you sure the import went as it should?

    OK.  Let me start by saying one positive thing.

    El Capitan looks like it has the potential to be a great OS.  This being
said, I'm at a position where even on my personal computers, not just on my
work audio production machine, I have made the decision to go back to Yosemite,
and not touch El Capitan with a 10 foot poll until some of these issues I'm
having are worked out.  Below are all the things so far I've observed.  Again,
realize that I am not complaining.  Over time, I'm sure a lot of this will get
fixed, but at least for the time being, this is ridiculous!

    Busy Busy Busy!

    This is the main bug which has caused me to say screw it!  I'm going back.
No matter what voice I use, be it Alex, any of the Nuance voices, Any of the
Acapela TTS voices, whatever, practically every single app I have tried is
almost constantly reporting busy busy busy.  Finally when the app does! switch
to ready status, it only stays there for a fraction of a second, then goes busy
again.

    Can't Edit nor backspace text in Mail

    This one's really aggervating.  When typing an e-mail message, be it a
reply, a forward, or just totally from scratch, I can edit/backspace text up to
a certain point which I've not totally benchmarked, but after a certain point,
pressing the backspace key, or trying to move around and edit my message
doesn't work.  Apparently, it works, but Voiceover says absolutely nothing.
When I try backspacing characters, Voiceover is totally silent.

    Message List Table in Mail is slightly Broken

    I should start this one by saying that I'm using the classic view of Mail.
I'm not sure if that matters, but i somehow doubt it does.  It used to be that
I could vo+right arrow to the messages group and interact with it.  Then, I
could vo+right arrow to the message list table.  Then, without interacting at
all, I could simply down arrow through the list of messages.  Not VO+Down
arrow.  I'm literally saying just down arrow.  The advantage of doing it this
way was that I wasn't interacting with the table, thereby making it where
virtically, it would only read one column at a time.  This way each row would
read all columns at once.  So right away, I knew who the message was from, the
subject, etc.  Now, if I try doing this, just by down arrowing when I reach the
table, Voiceover says absolutely nothing.  When I press return on a message,
it's not throwing me to the content of the message.  It's very inconsistent, so
I can't really tell you where it lands, as it seems to be kind a
scatterbrained.  Once I do! however get on the area with the message content,
regardless if I interact with the text field and use vo+up and down arrow to
read, or if I don't interact at all, but just up and down arrow to read, Mail
usually goes completely busy and by busy, I don't mean Voiceover saying busy.
I mean it goes so busy to the point where literally nothing! speaks.  Trying to
command+tab out of the Mail app sometimes works, but usually Voiceover lags for
a good 30 seconds to a full minute before catching up.  When it does! catch
back up I notice in the Mail app that I no longer have focus on the message
content, as it's jumped to some other random place like the message headers,
etc.  Yes, to rimity these issues, I did try restarting Voiceover, and yes,
I've also fully tried rebooting.

    ITunes 12.3, and ICloud Music Library

    I am subscribed both to Apple Music, as well as to ITunes Match.  I have a
CD which is *definitely!* not in the ITunes Store, nor in Apple Music.  I know
this as it's by a local artist, and she herself has told me directly that she's
not on ITunes, nor has any intention to be.  Anyway, I manually tagged all the
tracks with the correct name, genre, an album title.  I then imported the disc
into my library with my audio production system.  That worked absolutely
perfectly.  Now, mind you, that system is on Yosemite 10.10.5, but hear me out
on this.  I was going to lay down tonight and listen to that disc, seeing the
CD is all lullabys.  That mood was ruinned real! fast.  I have uploaded from my
production machine, the entire CD to my ICloud library.  In my room, I went on
my white polycarbon macbook, running the official non beta release of El
Capitan, and also running ITunes 12.3.  Both that system, as well as my audio
production machine here in the studio have ICloud Music library enabled and set
to be viewable.  When I pulled up ITunes on my macbook, I saw the album in
there by Renee Carter, but none of the tracks will play.  I went to the file
menu, library, and update ICloud Music Library.  This didn't even work.

    I'm not sure what I did, but finally, finally, finally! after middle
mucking with it for about 10 minutes, I managed to get one of the tracks to
play, but the track list table for that album seems, according to Voiceover to
keep refreshing.  It's almost like it's trying to download the album, but I
know it's not, as each track has a download button in the ICloud status column
of the table.  The weird thing though is, at first, that download button on
each track was available.  Now, all a sudden, it's becomed dimmed on all 20
tracks on the disc.  Further, under the album details group, the download
button for the whole album is also dimmed, whereas at first, it wasn't.  Even
still though, the tracks won't play.  I got that one track to play maybe one
time, but after that track finnhished playing, it wouldn't play again, nor
would any others.  I looked to see where my music library was being stored, in
case it had changed, but it's not.  It's in the standard default:...
~/Music/ITunes.  In there under ITunes Media/Music, I don't see but one thing,
which is a disc I ripped prior to upgrading to El Capitan, and actually, even
pryor to having Apple Music or ITunes Match.  That disc might be in ICloud, but
I just know this much.  It's definitely locally on my macbook, as that's where
I initially imported it from its physical CD.

    I should add that the Renee Carter disc which I initially mentioned I was
having issues with was not imported from files.  I have the physical CD media.

    The Renee Carter disc is the only disc in my library be it local, or in
ICloud where the tracks are not seeming to play.  They play fine on my
production machine where I actually ripped the disc, but then, over there, I
have the physical ripped files locally on my drive, so that's probably why.
All my other stuff plays on the macbook just fine, regardless the source where
I got the material, be it a CD, be it purchased from ITunes directly, etc.

    The other media aside the Renee Carter that does! play still has the issue
where the track list of the albums keep refreshing.  I know this as every few
seconds, Voiceover pops me out of the track list table, and says album grid.
When I look, sure enough.  I'm no longer focussed in the album details, let
alone on the track list table itself.  I looked, and nothing is in the LCD area
saying things are downloading, and to the right of the search field, there is
no activity popup.  I've quit ITunes, and relaunched it.  No good.  I've signed
out and back in to my Apple ID.  no good.  I've disabled and re-enabled ITunes
Match.  No good.  I've disabled and re-enabled showing Apple Music.  NO good.
I have disabled and re-enabled showing of ICloud Music.  NO good.

    Short of literally ripping the disc on to that system, which I certainly
can do, don't get me wrong, I don't know how else to get around this.

    Anyway, these are the main things so far I've seen.  I should add that it's
not just my white macbook having this issue.  It's not a ram issue either, as
far as constantly getting busy messages.  I know that system has only 2 gigs of
ram in it, but I also tried with my macbook pro to run El Capitan.  That
thing's got 16 gigs of ram in it, so there is no freaking way! that I have
inadiquit ram.  I also should conclude by saying that yes.  When I installed El
Capitan, I didn't install over the top of Yosemite.  I did a clean fresh
install, literally totally wiping the partition, formatting, and starting
fresh.  So that's not the problem either.

    I'd be curious if any of you all have seen any of this stuff since updating.

    Fortunately, I have a Superduper backup of Yosemite, so rolling these
machines back will be very very seemless.  It's just really irritating.

    Chris.