The files beginning with ~ are typically temprary Word or Office files which are created when you open an MS Word document in Word for editing. Normally these files are deleted when you close a document or shut down Word. However if you for any reason shut down your computer without closing Word or if your computer crashes then these files remain on your disk. Word can use them on Windows for document recovery. I do not believe that similar document recovery is possible if they are simply ported across to the Mac.

David Griffith

On 19/10/2015 23:00, Eileen Scrivani wrote:
Although I have not inspected them for a one-to-one correspondence (there are too many of them), they all appear to be in the folder with the standard file type. I have not brought my Itunes stuff over to the Mac since I am still leary of it.
I normally connect my phone to my Windows computer.
Eileen
*From:* Jonathan C. Cohn <mailto:jon.c.c...@gmail.com>
*Sent:* Monday, October 19, 2015 5:42 PM
*To:* macvisionaries@googlegroups.com <mailto:macvisionaries@googlegroups.com>
*Subject:* Re: Files Question.

Jonathan Cohn

On Oct 19, 2015, at 5:03 PM, Eileen Scrivani <etscriv...@verizon.net <mailto:etscriv...@verizon.net>> wrote:

Hi,
I had my Mac Book restored to Yosemity last week. I’ve recopied my files back onto the computer, but have a question about the files I copied over from a USB drive. I copied 3 folders from my Windows 8 computer. The files are a combination of .DOC (MS Word) .TXT & .PDF files. They are in the folders on the Mac. However, before I get to the file names I recognize, I have a series of files that all seem to begin with ~$ then the file name. Some say they are MS Word docs, but others indicate they are Unixe executable files. I have no idea why they are there or where they came from. Can anyone please explain what they are, why they are there and can I delete them from the folders? Below the list of all the ones that start with ~$ is the real file list of names I am able to open in Text Edit and read.
Thanks for any input.
Eileen
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MacVisionaries" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to macvisionaries+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:macvisionaries+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To post to this group, send email to macvisionaries@googlegroups.com <mailto:macvisionaries@googlegroups.com>.
<Eileen scrivani.vcf>hello,