OK guys, before I start writing this, let me throw in two disclamers.  NO, I
take that back.  Let me throw in three! disclaimers.

1.  I am running the most up to date build of OSX 10.11.1, not just 10.11.
Further, I’m not on any type of beta.  This is the official build.

2.  I have updated Safari to the newest version which came out just the other
day along with 10.11.1.

And finally, 3.  This works for me, but realize that there is a possibility
based on user configuration that this won’t work for everyone, so don’t jump
down my throat if my description doesn’t work for you.

OK, business out of the way, here is what I just posted on my Facebook wall,
word per word.  This is an exact paste which I typed up regarding this
situation.

OK guys, so I'm trying to edit things in this text field with El Capitan on my
mac in combination with Voiceover.  A lot of people have been complaining that
it's impossible to do with Safari.  I'm finding that it actually is working for
me.  OK, it's a little bit weird how it's doing it, and I think Apple needs to
look into that, as it's a bit nonintuitive, but hey! at least it's now doable.
Basically, as soon as you start moving your insertion point, it seems to then
automatically interact you with the text area.  Actually, this is kind of neet,
as I can then not only move word by word with option+left and right arrows, but
I also can move word by word with VO+left and right arrow, given that I indeed
*am* interacting with the text area.  I'll bet that if I used vo+up and down
arrows, which I practically hardly ever do in the first place, why, I don't
know, but that's neither here nor there, but anyway, I bet if I did so, I even
could move line by line through the text.  Now, as for how that would work with
Voiceover reading what the cursor passes over?  I have no idea.  I can't stand
Voiceover working that way.  I've gone into the VO Utility and have changed
that out under the Navigation category to where Voiceover reads what is under
the cursor rather than what it passes.  I'd suspect that doing it the other way
would probably be reliable, but right now, I don't have a very good way of
testing this out.  It's definitely a very different way of working online with
text fields, but it seems to me that this is what's going on, for those who may
be a little bit confused.  I think it will take some time to get used to, yes,
no doubt, as anything new will, but I think if you can learn to get used to it,
then I could see this potentially as actually being kind of cool.  Thoughts?

Chris.