Hi Again, Michael:

You've found me out! <grin> I tend to run my integrity checks on Linux,
which I nfs mount to my Mac.

However, a quick Google search for:

osx checksum

brings up several relevant results. Off the top of my head I wouldn't
know whether or not any graphical checksum checker is accessible, of
course. But, I'd pretty much bet that any terminal, i.e. command line,
checker is as accessible as the Mac terminal itself, and that's good
enough for this task.

The fact that your Mac refused to mount an ISO image is a pretty good
tell, though. It strongly suggests the file itself is the culpirt. These
iso images are a common way to share dvdr and cdr volumes, and should
mount without an issue. My sense of the situation is that you have
pretty clearly demonstrated a bad ISO file, and to me that means you
can't trust anything inside it. Even if you can accurately get at 99% of
the data inside, that's likely not enough for the task at hand.

If it were an ebook, or an old movie, you might live with 99% of the
contents. But for software installs, you pretty much need the entire
enchilada.

Janina