OK, but realize, that might not even fix the issue.  I'm not saying the USB
port on the mac you're using is defected, although it could! be that.  God
forbid!  What I'm saying is on the other end.  Didn't you say you had a little
sound device that plugged into your mac via USB?  Then, your speaker system was
plugged into that box?

You're not plugging the speakers directly into your mac, are you?

Let's get this clear before we go any further.

If you go into system preferences, then sound, and then vo+Space on the output
tab, then go over to the table of devices, be careful here.  Don't interact
with this table, and don't arrow around it either.  Just move over to the
table, then tell me what it says is selected in that table.  I promise you,
most likely 95% chance, it's not gonna say internal audio.  It's probably going
to be set to whatever the name of that audio device is you're using.

What I'm saying is, you have a USB cord, right?  That cord is running from your
mac.  One end is plugged into a USB port on your mac.  Right?  Now trace that
cord.  The other end of it.  Where's it going?  It's going to that little audio
box that your speakers are plugged into.  Right?  OK.  What I'm saying is, not
the cord itself, but the USB port on that audio device box... on the opisit end
from the mac.  I'm saying, that port there internally in that audio device box
might be somehow defected.

If it were your speakers that were the issue, then they'd be going out, but
your USB wouldn't keep randomly disconnecting.  Your speakers seem, from what
you're telling us, are getting power just fine.  The problem seems to be lying
within that USB connection between your mac, and the device which is hosting
your speakers.  I don't know how to explain this any easier.  Perhaps if you
still don't understand, someone else on list can chime in and better rephrase
what I'm trying to explain to you.

Nothing personal against you or anything.  I just don't know how to simplify
this any more than I already have.

Chris.