Caching service is definitely worth it for me because my bandwidth is metered
(in a good way) and I’m annoyed by how long and how bandwidth-wasting the
multiple-device update cycle and voice pack reinstallations are.  Nowadays it
also helps with iCloud documents and photos too, and that’s quite a packet
because the cache will store data that you put as well as get, in effect
completely nullifying many document and photo accesses.  At first it was
difficult to do because the cache would get wiped out every time I did a
reinstall on the iMac I ran it on, but now that I have a Mini dedicated to OS X
Server (again) on top of the Mac Mini Server it replaced (now running Linux)
it’s back to being useful.  That Mini will just run and run, never get
reinstalled and just get updated from time to time, and will provide a cache
for as long as I need it to.  And because it’s a Mini, it’s small and silent
and power-efficient.  Very cool.  I hope that Apple continues to push forward
with the things that the server will cache, specifically FairPlay-protected
movies, but it’s not here yet.  My only caution is that you not try to relocate
the server volume; the cache is tied to the machine it is built on, and so
trying to move the installation will cause its destruction (as I found out the
hard way, losing me 70 GB of active cache).  The server is part of Server.app
and as long as the clients all use the same public IPv4 address (with NAT,
usually) the cache on your home network will serve them.

list.